Tuesday, May 13, 2014

Just Around The Corner


****This is one of my old posts that I am leaving up.  It has earned its place on the Interwebs.


 I always tell myself that my true love is right around the corner.  He's waiting in some coffee shop or studying hard in his room.  Maybe he's out for a walk or a run, or in some park playing his guitar.  He plays guitar, I know, because that's how I always imagine him.  He's wearing a silver purity ring on his left ring finger.  And he's thinking about me.
   That's what I always tell myself.  Soon...soon you'll run into him, and after exchanging awkward "Sorry...my fault..."s, our eyes will meet and....
   I picture it like this.  I'm walking down the sidewalk on a bright sunny day - a Wednesday.  Why Wednesday? I have no idea, but that's what I imagine.  So this Wednesday might start off horribly.  I slept through my alarm, was ten minutes late for work after eating dry toast on the way to work (I abhor toast), and now I'm run-walking down the sidewalk for no discernible reason, hungry and flustered, looking for a place to sit down and eat when - CRASH - papers fly, glasses fall to the pavement, and pigeons quickly gather in hopes of an easy meal.
   "Sorry...my fault..." we say in unison.  He helps in gathering up my papers, and after a few moments our hands both go for the glasses - his.
    Our eyes meet for a moment, and I relinquish my grip.  He slips on his specs, and that's when it happens.  We look at each other for the first time.  I'm, of course, blown away by his eyes.  More specifically, those little crow feet that form every time he smiles.
   He's smiling at me.  I smile back.  He helps me to my feet and we stand there for a moment, laughing and making introductions.  He says my name in a way no one else can, and we walk and talk from there to the nearest cafe.  (Are you getting the feeling that I listen to too much Taylor Swift?  Because you would be correct in that.)
 
    I keep waiting for that Wednesday, telling myself it's not that far away.  The thing is, I really want someday to be today.  I want to meet him now.  I get lonely and daydreamy and I want a real, living, breathing person to daydream about, not just some figment of my imagination.
   But even if I have met him already, now would probably not be the best time to find out.
  So I suppose I'll just have to keep run-walking down the sidewalk, scarfing toast and turning corners until suddenly, one day....
                   Oh!  Sorry....my fault....

                                                                   Rosie

No comments:

Post a Comment